Audition info: please read first.
Audition Date: Thursday, May 18, 2017. Auditions take place at Joliet Central High School in the Band Room. Please enter through the Collins Street/Main Entrance. A student guide will be at the entrance to help guide you to the band room.
High school students may sign up for a slot in early April. For junior high students, Mr. Stinson will supply your director with a sheet for you to sign up for an audition time. Arrive at least 30 minutes prior to your scheduled time to warm-up. Sign up sheets will be distributed in early April to your directors, and audition slots are 6- 10 minutes long, depending on the instrument.
Each wind audition packet includes the following:
- An Etude. For the etude, prepare the entire selection. Make sure to focus on the basic concepts, such as rhythm and pitches, but don’t forget about printed expression such as dynamics and articulation.
- A scale sheet. Be prepared to perform the entire scale sheet. You may play scales an octave down when needed.
- PERCUSSIONISTS: Percussionist should prepare all three etudes, including a snare etude, xylophone etude, and a timpani etude (no scales). Please be prepared to sight-read on each instrument.
- Auditioning is not required - if you would like to perform in our Concert Band, you do not need to audition. However, if you would like to earn a spot in our Symphonic Band, an audition is required.
- Band placements will be supplied to counselors. Junior high students will be notified of their placement through their directors.
- Be prepared! If you are auditioning, prepare the music. Ask your director, private teacher or another student for help if needed. Additionally, make sure to be professional during the audition process. Preparing, saying hello and thanking the judge afterwards, and dressing in nice clothing are all tips that help to have a successful audition. If you have any questions, please contact Mr. Stinson at firstname.lastname@example.org, or by calling 815-727-6705
Click the links below to view, download, and print the audition music for your specific instrument.